Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Plop, Plop, fiz..

I have no idea what made me think of that title. I may have been the Elixir that I have been taking. Stuff is basically salt and calcium. I started taking this on long rides/races to self medicate/ward of cramping. Works pretty well.

Anyway, some thoughts:

1. Who the F eats a whole thing of iced cream. Even if it is reduced fat. I though only pregnant women, the obese, bulimics, and high school wrestlers binged this bad. IF you are an athlete, act like one. Eat like one. Sleep like one. Don't be the 80% guy.

2. People are always quick to tell you how much weight the have lost. Some people I know will say,"10 pounds less of me" five times per year. It's like, stop. Only tell us if it is off and off perminately.

3. Rest weeks? take a whole week off? Sound advice. Sorry to ruin your ideas of training, but science tells us that the bodies cardivascular system, muscular system detrains after 72 hours. It is a fact. Yes. Rest weeks are good. They are important to erase fatigue. You can erase fatigue by cutting your 26.5 hours, to 10.5... Ask me if you need the literature. I have it right in front of me. Use it/loose it.

4. Love this one. I am not riding/racing this year because....(fill in the blank).

One last thing. My cousin in St. Petersburg is the newest member of our biking community. He just purchased a cross bike yesterday. Three days a week is his target goal. Good luck to him. Hopefully, he gets the bug...like all of us.

With that I will leave you to your thoughts. I am going to go for a 3 hour ride.

1 comment:

bryan said...

1. that's a lot of ice cream. and not even good ice cream.

2. I've lost 3/4 of a pound in the last 10 minutes.

3. If I took a week off I'd have to downgrade to Cat. 8.

4. the correct answer is 'I am a pussy,' though 'I'm in soul-crushing debt' is permissible, in Mike's case.