Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Unremarkable

That sums up the restaurant, Old Mattress Bar and Grille. I went to lunch there this afternoon. The building was a beautiful historical landmark, and the interior was modern and urban. I perused the menu for something that caught my eye... nothing. I asked the server what course on the menu was so good that I would want to send friends/family to the Matt. She did not really have a good answer. She said that they were very busy, but mostly during the Quest center events. It may have location, but taste it did not. It is a pity that business now a days can rely on where the business is, and not the quality of product that it gives it consumers. I had the Smoked Salmon salad. It was ok, nothing like Kirk Phillips Smoked products. The salad had corn with some type of grainy accoutrement. Upon further inspection, the chef sautéed the corn in butter, let the corn cool, and the aftermath was this texture... weird. Oh, the salad came with a muffin, poppy seed, I think. Good, but didn't really go with a salad. Finally, we had "homemade" hummus. Now I am quite the lover of hummus... I eat it practically every day. This was the worst part of the meal, no Tahini, no garlic, no cumin. In one word, it was unremarkable.

3 comments:

bryan said...

I had a similar experience at Lazlo's on Saturday. While the beer was quite tasty, the menu seemed short for dinner. It was either a burger, a sandwich or a steak. What about pasta? I like pasta. Or chicken?

So I settled for the BBQ bacon burger. I'm still riding it off.

Matthew Pavlovich said...

Their coffee(or espresso) stout is delicious. Menu sucks

bryan said...

I didn't have stout, though I thought about it. I had whatever their scotch ale is called.