Monday, February 18, 2008

Good things come in two's PArt 1

2 Tacos
2 Tamales
2 Kims
2 new CD's
2 Parents
2 Breweries
2 Days
..oh, and 15 coffees/ 8 hours on the bike and one heated blanket.

Above is the weekend cliff notes. Study well, there will be a test.

I went to Des Moines this weekend for a couple of reasons:1. Dad's Birthday/see mom and dad 2. Watch State Wresting 3. See Des Moines friends.
We Started out the weekend on Friday watching state wrestling semifinals with my Dad and Kim. We could not find a seat, so Kim wandered with much purpose and more vicoden into a box seat marked "reserved - firestone tires"

15 minutes elapsed until we were kicked out of the box seating. Kim was way too slow on the explanation about who he knew from Firestone. We continued to watch Tanner Schmitt from Charles City clean some kids clock en route to his first state championships.

Following the wrestling and a trip to the post office we decided that it was 5 o'clock somewhere. We visited Raccoon River Brewery for adult sodas and snacks. I had their cherry wheat first and stout second. The stout was delicious, but more so served the purpose of washing the foul taste of cherry wheat out of my mouth. Then on to Granite City Brewery for some fish and chips, beer tasting, and conversation with the 'rents. It was great to see them, if only for two days.

Aside - I really appreciate my parents/my friends/my family support on the bike. They(you) all realize that I cannot always go do every tiny thing with them(you). I appreciate the understanding.

I then met Dave Williams and some of his friends to shut the box. A popular English dice game that takes entirely too much time, money, and patience. I started with 2 dollars and played until 3! I even saw an old classmate who coaches for Fort Dodge, Drew Kelly. The last time I saw him was 7 years ago in omaha at the UNO wrestling open (where he won).


Saturday was an exercise in forgetfulness. It started out with breakfast/coffee at the hotel, then the mall. My parents went to a movie and I had heard about a ride afoot at 1 pm. I made it to waterworks park with ample time, but forgot some crutial pieces of winter wear... gloves and booties. Lane, Dave, Chad, and new guy showed up, as did Jane, Kelli, Lou, and two other random whom I did not know. Luckily, Chad (saint/boy scout) had an extra pair of gloves to lone me for the ride. 4 hours later, two frozen hands + two frozen feet confirmed what I already knew... living in Iowa for winters blows. I also felt comfort in the fact that yes, dave still loves to pull everyone around, and apparently, Chad is the guy that drills the hills in Des Moines (in omaha, it is Landen).

Later that night at Dos Robles... my feet finally thawed. More to come (about that)...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

you only have one sister... also a good thing not noted in your entry. interesting. i will remember that next christmas.

Matthew Pavlovich said...

Hopefully, I can redeem myself by showering your group with food and gift when you arrive in omaha on thursday.

Lindsey said...

Sounds like you had fun...

I love those people who find a way to make their car into a mobile locker room/ laundry basket of sorts- it really is an art that I tried for a while, but quit. It is very handy, especially when you forget gloves.

the mostly reverend said...

he also has "sister nun, of the above," at the orphanage.
so see, kristin, TWO sisters.

the mostly reverend said...

by the way, if BAD things come in threes, i'm cool now.




FINALLY.




[see? TWO posts from me today. must be a good thing.]