Sunday, February 24, 2008

Overreaction

Sunday night - and right now I am watching American Gangster. I had two rides outside, totaling... wait, I'm not supposed to tell. It wasn't as much as those guys in the TOC guys. Anyway, I watched the TOC both days and those days looked epic. Tough guy points all around. You know a tour is tough when only 80 of 135 starters finish. Hats off to Tom Zirbel from Clear
Lake, he almost pulled off the stage. Note - Two guys in the top 5 in this last stage from Iowa (Jason and Tom).

I road with Landen, Spence, and Dave Rogers today; I was pretty happy that it got up to 49 degrees. Maybe those guys in so cal should have ridden in the Tour of Nebraska and not a tour of California today!

Now to the story...

After 4:30 of riding today, and various angry motorist, I was reaching the end of my ride when a red Toyota X-terra rolled passed me. He slowed down beside me yelled something inaudible, and advanced his rig 100 meters. Now the 3000 kcal defect had played its toll on my brain, and I was suffering from what we in the business call hypoglycemia. I screamed and waved my hands in the air and motioned for the X-terra to stop and discuss our interaction.

He reversed in the street, and I told him that I had every right to be in the street and I payed taxes also. I was livid and ready to through down. What I did not understand at the time was that this fellow was in fact a cyclist and just wanted to say hi, and that he had no problem sharing the road with me. I missed that one. Over reaction. I Felt like a huge asshole. Of all the people I could have ran into, it was a cyclist in omaha. Go figure.

Also, Happy 55th Birthday to my dad!

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Very funny story! Did you also envision the driver with a red beard and wearing a Harley Davidson t-shirt in your hypoglycemic state?

A few years back, I was riding up a decent climb in WI, and a car slowed down, pulled beside me, and I heard yelling. I thought it was the usual profanities from a motorist, but upon further examination, it was actually an entire carload of people cheering for me- I felt like I was in the tour!

bryan said...

Damn, you're smooth. We had our share of interesting drivers yesterday, too. None were verbally assaulted, though.

the mostly reverend said...

i HATE those friendly bastards!