Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Critical Mass (ride)

One thousand apologies for the once a week blog activity. Many things have transpired in the last week, all of which have kept me from blogging.

1. I did not get the job in Bend. More news to come on that note.
2. I have been on Oral Surgery rotation, pulling teeth, scalping gums, placing dental implants. This does not lend itself to blogging.
3. Got a new race rig. Felt F1. Pictures of the updated stable to come also.
4. Watched one of the weirdest movies ever, Southland Tales. From the director of Donnie Darko.
5. Took one of three parts of my national dental boards.

Now to the most interesting thing that has happened:

I was driving home from college yesterday when the traffic rush slowed, and I noticed some orphans riding their bikes. The interesting thing about this motley crew was that it wasn't just 2-3 riders in the bunch, it was 30. This fistful of 20 somethings were riding their bike on crowed streets, had music strapped on their bikes, and a sign that read,"Omaha Critical Mass."

Now anytime one sees this many cyclist in the great city of Omaha, further inverstigation is needed. I followed these chaps to their destination, and asked about their mission. A slender fellow in black levi's and a black coat jumped up to explain that this was a Critical Mass ride. Commuters in other cities get together once a month and ride, to raise advocacy for fellow cyclists, he explained. The critical mass ride would be leaving every first friday of the month from the park by the bike coop in omaha. Nicely done.

2 comments:

bryan said...

I saw those guys, too -- doing wheelies on Cuming on their fixies. Nice.

But why were they riding on a Tuesday?

brady said...

Thanks for the info. I subscribed to their email list.