Saturday, April 5, 2008

Race Report - Altoona RR

Six team memebers travel to Altoona, IA to kick off the race season. Here is their (my) story:

Jon V. and I started the 65 mile road race, and had talked previously about riding the first part of the race conservitavely. If a break were to occur, the idea was to wait and then bridge up to the other.

On the first lap, some fellow racer stated that Cam, Landen, and Nathan got away at this very spot; a series of rollers with a headwind. It thought to myself, noted and concure. On the next lap, I attacked on those same rollers and got a small gap with two compatriote racers, some guy and Adam Price.

We traded a series of pulls and after two laps, had put 1:10 on the field. Some guy started to cramp up and was not pulling his weight, so this promped Adam and I to ride away from him. With another lap under our belt, Adam began to cramp also. Now a word about Adam Price - the guy is great, he will and does everything in his own power to get a break going in every race. Just today, he did not have the legs, and started to cramp up. I would have like to wait for him, but it wasn't in the cards today.

I started the last lap, the last 11 miles solo. I tried to ride on edge as well as possible, but looked back and saw three riders bridging up to me. Jon V, and two Bike to You guys. I was throughly cooked, and decided that I would do no more work for me the rest of the race. I had burned too many matches strying to stay away.

We road into the finishing stretch and Jon V took second in the sprint; I took third. A pretty big step up from last year; crashing out of the Altoona road race.

A word about the rest of the Team - Landen 3rd, Ian - 4th, Spence - 1st, Dave R - 4th. Everyone in the money, everyone happy.

Also, thanks to Dee Mable for the water bottle, you always need one extra.

Fin

No comments: