Monday, April 28, 2008

Iowa City Weekend Results

Here is the race recap from the weekend.

Saturdays road race main theme was wind. Crosswind, headwind, tailwind, 20-30 mph. I guess that is why Jason McCartney like Iowa. There is always wind. On lap two, a gap opened up in the field and Jon V was up in the lead group. I took care to not bring anyone accross, and attempted to jumop the gap. I did not succeed at gap jumping. I missed the break and then resigned my king to the field sprint.

Sundays Iowa City Criterium was less windy, more warm, and a better atmosphere. I had talked to Kim West earleir and a plan was brewing. He insisted that I get the hole shot and don't look back for a lap. I managed to stay off the front 3 laps but was quickly swallowed up. Apparently, no one wanted to sit my wheel while I try to lap the field. I sat in and rested and decided to try my luck at another break. Again, nothing. With what I though was one lap to go, I jumped off the front of the field to try to win the field sprint (two people were up the road ). I won. But apparently, it was two laps to go and not one. Silly me. I ended up 8th in the second sprint.

After the race, I was called up to the podium to talk with the officials. I quickly learned that I won the Kim West Radio Talk Show most aggressive riders award (a KWRTS TShirt). Sweet. The official proceeded to interview me for 5-10 minutes about the plan that was earlier formulated.

8th and 10th on the weekend. All and all, a good effort. I think from now on, I am just going to race for the most aggressive riders award, since I apparently cannot win races.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, I'm a little jealous that you received all the pre-race-Kim wisdom, yet I received none. I'm sure with the extra information I could have at least finished.

Second, aggressiveness always trumps winning among the rowdy, beer-drinking crowd, while winning is preferred among prospective employers. Your goals should be determined by which audience you're trying to cull.

Robinson #1

Sean said...

That attack right from the gun was bad ass, man. They were referring to you as the most aggressive rider from about lap 5 onward. It was a ballsy move. You should have heard the people next to me yelling about it.

bryan said...

hole shot!

That looked like it hurt. A lot.

Sport said...

Nice job this weekend. I've got to get better at working with you. Didn't even look back in the RR. I guess too hell bent in establishing the break. Then at the Crit, if I could have got up front I might of been able to help slow the field. Read my take on the races at the following. Look forward to many more races with you. We're going to get this down yet.

http://starcitysport.blogspot.com/

the mostly reverend said...

it's "the kim west radio cycling show," dammit gumby.

robinson #1, m pav doesn't WANT to be employed...HE knows who he's trying to cull.

now, if you REALLY want to know more about racing, perhaps you could lure me to a certain pizza place in johnston, and i could give a talk! yeah, THAT'S the ticket.

then we could all crash the next day.