Sunday, June 15, 2008

Vegas Olympic trials - wrestling

Jeff, Dan, Dave, and I are currently in Vegas watching the USAW OT. We have seen some great wrestling in the past few days, with the best coming from two midwestern boys - Doug Schwab (osage, IA) and Jake Deitchler (Mn). Both won their best two out of three wrestle offs and are going to the olympics.

The more impressive things is the fashion in which Deitchler made the olympic team. He beat a field with Mark Rial, Harry Lester, Farin Sahid, and Oscar Wood. Two National Champions, one expatriot 2X National chamion from turkey, former olympian, etc, etc. All a the age of 18... Kudos.

1 comment:

jamesb said...

I followed the Olympic Trials on the web.

I too am a die hard wrestling fan, I attended Div I nationals with my dad in '93, '95, and '97 (to watch of course) and my small Div III college team (Buena Vista) had to dual Iowa once in '97...it wasn't pretty, all pins in first period against us except for our 142 lb'er; he went the distance in a decision.

Anyway, Schwab is a stud. I'm glad you got to go see them.

-James